Thursday, March 13, 2014

Why Hello There Mr. Faulkner

So here I stand, on the edge of a potentially catostrophic novel, if the ominous rumblings coming from the general direction of a certain English teacher are to be headed.  But before I can moan and groan about the book, I must first inquire about, and give myself the opportunity to moan at, it's author.  He's actually not a terribly boring guy though.
 I find it incredibly amusing that William Faulkner's name is spelled the way it is because somehwere down the line someone messed up the spelling (we're looking at you Canada). I must admit, however, that Faulkner looks much schnazzier than Falkner.  And while we're on the topic of schnazzy words: Yoknapatawpha.  It's long enough, and complicated enough that I feel attempting to say it out loud would quite literally cause me to trip and fall.  Complicated pronunciation aside though, I thought it was not only very nifty, but quite a display of focus and dedication for Faulkner to create his own county.  It's almost like a very complex game of sims, but cooler.
Faulkner's home life wasn't bland either.  He's quite a lucky guy to get the girl of his dreams after she married another man (that story's got a wonderful little moral about taking serious things seriously).  That's a scene straight out of movie.

1 comment: